So what does it mean, to read in an interactive style?
- Read the book out aloud, with the child sitting next to you, possibly following the text with their eyes and fingers.
- Do different voices for different characters.
- Ask the child to be one of the characters, or to read alternating pages.
- Pause to explain words you think the child may not be familiar with.
- Pause to ask factual questions about the text: "What is Red Riding Hood carrying in her basket?"
- Pause to ask interpretative questions about the text: "Do you think she made a wise choice to stop and talk to the wolf?", "How would the story work out if she hadn't?"
What is your child's unique learning style?